Prakash Kumar is Assistant Professor at the Department of Art, Design and Performing Arts, School of Humanities and Social Sciences. He has a background of Mechanical Engineering and Design. He completed Bachelor in Mechanical Engineering from Bharati Vidyapeeth, Pune in 2005. Having a creative inclination, he did Master in Design from IIT Guwahati in 2009. He is Ph.D. in Design from Department of Design, IIT Guwahati in the area pertaining to Ergonomics and Product Design. He has also represented the student bodies at various forums like different management Committees related to students' affairs at IIT Guwahati. He is also a member of Indian Science Congress and the Design Society. The versatile experience and multidisciplinary background gives him a vision to address the problem with a holistic approach.
- Work tool/ equipment design for small scale industries/ cottage industries like equipment design for small fruit processing units
- Ergonomic study of issues related to workers in small, unorganized industries and design of context specific solutions
- Design for people at the Bottom of Pyramid
- Design and development of low cost innovations
- Kumar, P. and Kumar, V., Teaching Creative Design to Undergrad Engineering Students – Some Experiences, ICoRD’19 –Research into Design for Connected World, Vol. 2, 2019, Pp-1011-1021.
- Kumar, P., Mittal, S and Jhawar, S., Knee Arthritis related issues among aging population in Indian households, Humanizing Work and Work Environment- 2017.
- Kumar, P. and Chakrabarti, D., QFD Based Methodology to Decide upon Contextually Appropriate Solution Category with Specific Reference to Pineapple Peeling Equipment Design, ICoRD’15 – Research into Design Across Boundaries, Vol. 2, 2015, Pp-621-630.
- Kumar, P. and Chakrabarti, D., Ergonomic evaluation of manually operated pineapple peeling machine, Humanizing Work and Work Environment- Guwahati, 2014, Pp. 244-247.
- Kumar, P. and Chakrabarti, D., Extending the life cycle of under-utilized urban scrap through sustainable Design Approach, International Conference on Research in Design: Supporting sustainable product Design, 2011, Pp. 541-550.
- Kumar, P. and Chakrabarti, D., User Centered design input in Mechanical Engineering and Design: Ergonomics relevance, pp 116-119, HWWE 2009 - Kolkata, December 2009.
- Kumar, P., Mittal, S and Jhawar, S., Effects of Knee Arthritis on domestic and social activities: Understanding Indian patients’ perspective (Under review in Journal "Ergonomics and Human Factors Engineering International Journal for Forensic Engineering and Management, Inderscience")
- Kumar, P., Chakrabarti, D., Patel, T. and Chowdhuri, A., Work-related pains among the workers associated with pineapple peeling activities in small fruit processing units of North East India, International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, Vol. 53 (2016) Pp.124-129, Elsevier.
- Patel, T., Sanjog, J., Kumar, P. and Karmakar, S., Isometric muscular strength data of Indian agricultural workers for equipment design: Critical analysis, Agricultural engineering international CIGR Journal, Vol 16, 2014, Pp. 70-79
- Pandit, S., Kumar, P. and Chakrabarti, D., Ergonomic Problems Prevalent in Handloom Units of North East India, International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, Volume 3, Issue 1, January 2013.
2017 Patent filed -1 (APPARATUS FOR PEELING AND CUTTING PINEAPPLES)